Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Easy, Scrumptious Mac N Cheese Recipe

Hey there everyone!

Since prime camping season is officially over, I've decided to start getting ready for next season by finding out what recipes we need to try out.  One thing I've always been a huge fan is macaroni and cheese.  Noodle, cheese... what's not to love?


If anyone is from Michigan and they've been to the Clarkston Union or The Union Woodshop, they've been spoiled by the mac n cheese gods from above!! They have hands down, the BEST macaroni and cheese ever.  After searching online, I've found many recipes that replicate theirs and have made it several times at home.  The only downside is that it requires a lot of preparation and many steps, so trying to do this while at camp, wouldn't be easy.  That's why I've decided to make my own recipe from all ones I've seen online to make one that's not only similar, but WAY easier!  So without further ado, here's the recipe for my Easy, Scrumptious Mac N Cheese that can be made at camp!


Easy, Scrumptious Mac N Cheese

Ingredients:

1 box of noodles (your choice, I like elbow or shell)
2 cups of shredded cheese (I used 1 cup of mild cheddar, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, 1/2 cup of 
   colby jack just to mix it up!)
1 - 1 1/2 cup of heavy cream (depending on how thick/thin you want it)
1/4 cup of diced onion

3 tbsp butter
Approx 1/2 tsp of Red Robin seasoning (I swear, this stuff is perfect for everything)
Approx 1/2 tsp of black pepper
Approx 1/2 tsp salt (give or take)
Approx 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Approx 1/4 tsp nutmeg


Directions:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil for the noodles, put in when ready and cook for directed time.

2. Meanwhile, saute onions with 1 tbsp of butter.
3. Once noodles are done, drain and return to pot.  Add 2 tbsp of butter and sauteed onions.
4. Stir in your desired amount of heavy cream, cheeses and seasonings and mix thoroughly!
5. Transfer mac n cheese to a crock pot and cook on high for 45 minutes to and hour, stirring frequently and voila! Easy, yummy mac n cheese!  At home, instead of the crock pot, I put my mac n cheese in a casserole dish and baked at 375 degrees for 20 minutes and it turned out great that way too! You can also do it this way if you're lucky enough to have an oven in your camper! :)


I hope you all enjoy this recipe, there will be more to come as I find them over this long winter we are about to endure yet again in the Midwest!  See you all next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment